A port in evolution.

Porto Antico’s history matches the history of a port that has followed shipbuilding and cargo handling innovations, altering with continual adjustments and interventions its coastline and port facilities.  
History tells us that in the “Mandraccio” inlet, perhaps from Arabic, “shelter where you can stay safe”, virtually a natural harbor, the first indigenous fishermen had settled. Protected from the winds and strategically located, the port of Genoa soon became the Mediterranean hub of maritime trade.

Active since the fifth century BC, at the center of trade in antiquity and the Middle Ages, its leadership increased and became stronger with the creation of the City during the era of the Crusades, and later in the 500s : the “Century of the Genoese”.

The development of port activities grew at high speed until the sixteenth century, when with the discovery of America trading was diverted over the Atlantic. A new period of maritime expansion developed with the construction of the new port in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century and the subsequent significant enlargements in 1919 and 1945.

In recent decades, port traffic has moved more and more towards the west and the old town area has remained unused until in fact 1992; the year of its restoration thanks to the Columbus celebrations when it was physically reconnected to the town and thus restored to its guiding role of the city.